Sunday, September 18, 2011

Birth Soup


When I went into labour with my first child, my mother-in-law busied herself in the kitchen chopping potatoes and beets to make a pot of soup. Soon the sweet smell of borsch permeated the house and accompanied me through contractions. The brilliant red broth nourished all of us, spoonfed to the tired mama in the birthpool, steaming bowls served to Lonny and the midwife through many hours of birthing.

Three years later, as soon as I knew that my second baby would be joining us, Grandma brought out the large soup pot and began to make our birth soup, this time with the assistance of Maia who happily peeled carrots by her side. The sweet smell filled the house, and a little brother was born a few hours later. After a bowl of borsch eaten while snuggled up in our big bed, Lonny and I fell asleep, a new life amongst us.

Today there is a pot of birth soup simmering on the stovetop. Kieran is peeling potatoes by my side. No contractions today, it's my turn to cook and I'm making a double batch for a mother in my parenting group who gave birth to triplets. Triplets. Oh my. I can't imagine how overwhelming welcoming three babes must be, with two older ones to look after as well. I would have tripled the batch but my soup pot isn't large enough! Today we're making a vegetarian version, following the recipe from one of my favourite cook books, Taste This by Birgitta Hellman, a gift from Grandpa Steve. I am omitting the cabbage and only using half the onions for the nursing mama.

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend. Here's to babies, good food, and traditions!

xo

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment